Losing a loved one can be a traumatic experience. You need the time to grieve, but there are also legal issues that must be addressed. If the deceased has left a will as a part of their estate plan, there will be a probate process. Because estate planning laws are so complicated, you should seek legal help from a Reno Probate Attorney. In this post, we are discussing the probate process and the role of an attorney.
The role of probate lawyers
A will must go through probate, which is the process of settling the deceased’s estate. The process involves the court, and therefore, it is important to handle the matter efficiently. There are various reasons why people hire probate attorneys, including –
- Drafting a will: You may have come across online options that allow you to create a DIY will, and while these services are inexpensive, you could end up committing mistakes that will only have unforeseen consequences for your heirs. A probate lawyer allows you to draft your will in a manner that prevents legal consequences while honoring your wishes after your death. As you see, hiring a probate attorney is not just about handling a will but also creating one.
- Handling the situation: Legal claims often crop up after the death of a person, and if you are the heir, you need to have a probate attorney on your side with credible legal expertise and experience. You can rely on the attorney to be your support through the probate so that you don’t feel overwhelmed by the legal process that’s unfamiliar and confusing otherwise.
- Minimizing time: The actual probate process can take time, especially if the executor is an untrained person. When you have a probate attorney, they can offer guidance in the process and help resolve both legal and financial matters that can otherwise cause considerable delay.
- Help for executors: If you are the executor of someone’s will, you have the legal responsibility of ensuring that the will is honored. Not understanding the probate process only delays things further. You can consider hiring an attorney to help with the debt settlements, legal formalities, court filings, and everything else in between.
- Reduce family trouble: Heirs often fight over things after the death of a loved one, and this can strain family dynamics. Hiring a probate lawyer ensures that you don’t mess up things because the will is already a guiding document for everyone involved.
Call a probate lawyer now!